Amiga OS 3.2.2.1 Installation on Amiga 1200

Amiga OS 3.2.2.1 Setup Guide

Background

I've gone and bought a copy of Amiga OS 3.2 so here is my step by step of replacing my Amiga OS 3.5 installation with Amiga OS 3.2 plus all current (at the time of writing) updates to 3.2.2.1.

Setup

As per my Amiga OS 3.5 setup, I'm using WinUAE configured to be an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 1230-IV card. The Blizzard card is set up to have 16 MB of RAM to match my real Amiga 1200.

I am using the same 16 GB CF card that I set up in my earlier post so I will be skipping the partitioning, this time only formatting the AmigaOS35 partition and renaming it to AmigaOS32 ready to install 3.2.

The other difference is that kickstart ROM was used from the 3.2.2.1 hotfix release instead of 3.1 ROMs.

I will later be using BlizKick to patch the updated kickstart in because I don't have physical ROMs for my Amiga 1200.

Amiga OS 3.2 Installation

This starts with booting the Install3.2 ADF and formatting the AmigaOS35 partition on my CF card. Installation then began and proceeded through all the disk swapping. I selected English British and had no issues with the installation.

After the installation was completed, I booted from the hard drive for the first time and acknowledged the warning about missing MMUlibs.

Inserting the Install ADF again, the setup was restarted but this time, followed the prompts to install the MMU libs, selecting Phase 5 Blizzard along the way.

The 3.2.1 update LHA was mounted and the installer ran to update to 3.2.1, followed by the same steps for 3.2.2 and the 3.2.2.1 hotfix release.

Amiga OS was now at version 3.2.2.1.

Software Installation

DOPUS was still on the WORK partition as per my previous post so it was just a case of repeating the same steps to copy the relevant files to the new installation.

LHA was also copied to C.

Additional Configuration

  • Prefs > IControl > enabled windows resize from all sides and moving off screen. Also enabled scroll wheel.
  • Prefs > Workbench > changed icon quality to Good.
  • Prefs > Input > changed keyboard to British (for some reason it was set to American despite using British options during installs)
  • Prefs > Locale > set preferred language to English_british, Country to United_kingdom and Time Zone to GMT.

BlizKick

I don't have physical ROMs burned for the newer kickstart so I must use the MapRom feature of my Blizzard card to "kick" the ROM into memory. To do this I will use BlizKick from https://aminet.net/package/util/boot/BlizKick.

After extracting the LHA to RAM, I copied BlizKick to C:.

Next, I created the folder DH0:Devs/ROMs/ and I copied A1200.47.111.rom to it.

Finally, I edited the startup-sequence file so that the very first line is:

BlizKick KICKFILE="DEVS:ROMs/A1200.47.111.rom"

To test, I ensured that Map ROM was enabled for the emulated Blizzard card and changed the ROM back to Kickstart ROM back to 3.1.

When the emulation was restarted, BlizKick ran correctly mapping the ROM.

The Workbench > About screen shows the correct ROM version too.

Conclusion

The CF card was moved back to the real Amiga 1200, at which point I will continue to complete the Elbox 4xEIDE adapter for CD-ROM support.

Comments